IDI-BD2K is pleased to sponsor a two-day workshop on the UCSC Genome Browser. The workshop is 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM both days. Room-3373 at the Plaza Universitaria Building, Torre Norte, at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus (UPR-RP).
Departamento de Biología
Facultad de Ciencias Naturales Universidad de Puerto Rico
SEMINARIO DE BIOLOGÍA
“Mortality in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria”
Rafael Irizarry, PhD
School of Public Health
Auditorio Jesús E. Amaral
Escuela de Arquitectura
Martes 5 de marzo de 2019
The University of Puerto Rico at Rio Piedras will host a nine week paid research internship for undergraduate students. The NSF-sponsored program offers training and practice for fluency in quantitative skills, data analysis, and bioinformatics and myriad opportunities for career development.
Congratulations to Dr. Juan Ramirez Lugo and our very own Dr. Patricia Ordoñez for obtaining this award.
Dr. Titus Brown from the University of California, Davis will be our guest for Topicos next week and will be sponsored by IDI-BD2K.
He will be presenting his seminar on Tuesday (see flyer). He will be covering topics of biological data analysis, data integration, and data sharing. His lab’s primary interest is in genomic, transcriptomic, and metagenomic sequence analysis. He will be available on Tuesday and Thursday to meet with faculty, postdocs or students. If you would like to meet with him, or know someone that might be interested, please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Gustavo Lopez (email@example.com) to save date/hour for your meeting.
SEMINARIO DE BIOLOGIA Anuncio (8)
The IDI-BD2K project is pleased to announce a series of seminars by
Professor Elias Moreno from Universidad de Granada.
The main objective of the visit is to disseminate to various audiences Prof. Moreno’s research on the application of rigorous Decision Theory Analyses in the choice of medical treatments. Also, to reinforce his collaborations with local researchers in statistics.
The main activities will be:
- Prof Moreno will deliver two conferences in the the Rio Piedras Campus University of Puerto Rico.
- The first will given on Monday, February 4, 2019 at 11:30am, Auditorio Jesús Amaral, Escuela de Arquitectura, and will be a general Motivation and Introduction to the problem.
- The second will be given on Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 4:00pm in CNL A-211, Natural Sciences, and is a much more technical talk using state of the art methods in Bayesian Model Selection to make specific decisions for different groups eg male-female etc
- A third conference will be given on Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 10:00am in the Centro Comprensivo de Cáncer, motivating the students and faculty to use Statistical Decision Analysis in the choice of treatments as it is done in Europe. (Registration)
- Throughout the rest of the week, until Friday, February 8, 2019 Professor Moreno will reactivate his joint research projects in Bayesian Statistics with Profs. Luis Pericchi and Maria Eglee Perez, incorporating students of Mathematics and Computer Science. In particular there is interest in evaluating Machine Learning algorithms using rigorous Statistical Science.
The IDI-BD2K has funding for 2 internships for each of the following partnering universities: Harvard University, University of Pittsburgh, and University of California Santa Cruz, for a total of 6 internships. University of Pittsburgh has up to 9 more university internships available, to which we can recommend you, for a total of 15 internships. The internships are from 8-10 weeks. If you are interested in participating, please apply by Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at the following website:
Looking forward to receiving you applications,
The IDI-BD2K Leadership team
Les escribo para comunicarles sobre actividad organizada por el National Research Mentoring Network (NRMN). La misma, se llevará a cabo el lunes, 28 de enero de 2019 de 1:00 a 4:00pm en el anfiteatro JGD-123.
Seminar: Adventures in Metagenomics Data Science: statistical, computational and visual interactive data analysis.
Hector Corrada Bravo, PhD
University of Maryland
Tuesday, January 22, 2019
Julio Garcia Diaz 123
Department of Biology
Rio Piedras Campus
University of Puerto Rico
The IDI-BD2K project and the AECC is organizing two workshops January 11-12, 2019 in UPR Rio Piedras, Department of Computer Science. We will be running Software Carpentry workshops in Python and R.
Software Carpentry aims to help researchers get their work done in less time and with less pain by teaching them basic research computing skills. This hands-on workshops will cover basic concepts and tools, including program design, version control, data management, and task automation. Participants will be encouraged to help one another and to apply what they have learned to their own research problems.
Python is a general purpose scripting language popular in scientific computing.
R is a statistical computing language with extensive applications in bio-statistics and ecology.
Please register only for the version you will attend. The workshops will be held at the same time.
Registration for the R version
Registration for the Python version
The IDI-BD2K program is kicking off more than a week of events next Wednesday November 7, 2018. Come join us for Big Data Week 2018!